Waud’s location from which he worked was on the south side of the road, approximately 670 yards from the Courthouse. He is looking southwest near 231 degrees. The Confederate skirmishers were positioned about 218 yards in his front, along a line that follows close to the same base as Confederate Cemetery Drive today. Directly south of Waud’s position is a dug pond which is not an historic feature of the property during the Civil War.
The aerial photograph below has been annotated to again identify the locations of the structures seen on the horizon of Waud’s on location sketch.
B: Berea Church: Now home of the Spotsylvania County Museum.
C: The original Spotsylvania Courthouse of the Civil War era.
D: Sanford Inn: Former tavern and hotel now used as law offices. The roofline is barely visible in this sketch but its location is unmistakable between the Courthouse and the Brick House to its right.
E: Brick House: The one structure that no longer stands from Waud’s sketch. In May 1864 this home was owned by Joseph Sanford, owner of the Inn. The home burned on July 13, 1930 while the residence of Commonwealth Attorney S. P. Powell. It had a distinct L shape which is clearly visible in the drawing.
Waud’s sketch is in the collection of the Library of Congress.