The building can be seen in several war era photographs of Fredericksburg taken from the Stafford County side of the Rappahannock River.
National Park Service chief-historian, John Hennessy, wrote of the pending threat four years ago in the F&SNMP's blog, Mysteries and Conundrums.
Update! It has now come out that University of Mary Washington students and faculty, of the Historic Preservation Department, were scheduled to document the structure on Saturday, August 29, but the "owners opted not to wait even that long."
Below are details from period photographs along with photos and a link for a video taken the morning of the demolition.
Images circa 1863-1864, F&SNMP, and Library of Congress
Prints and Photographs Division. Looking west, from the river.
Above, one of the last photographs taken of the river face of the building, looking west, at 8:37 AM,
August 27, 2015. Remains of additions to the north face of the building are visible to the right,
and foreground. The photos below were taken between 8:14 and 9:15 AM,
View from Sophia Street, looking southeast.
Looking north on Sophia Street
Looking southeast on Sophia Street.
Visible termite damage of 1843 framework.
North wall foundation exposed.
Looking northeast from Sophia Street.
Above, Steve Smallwood, Deputy Director of Building Services Division for the City of Fredericksburg, and Erik Nelson, Senior Planner of the Fredericksburg City Planning Department, along with members of the demolition crew from Abby Construction, examine architectural elements from the debris. Below, an original roof truss and details of its construction.
Salvaged foundation stones and an oak beam from 401 Sophia Street.